Environment & Science

San Clemente beach remains closed after shark sightings

File: An area of Manhattan Beach was closed off to swimmers after clumps of oil washed up on the sand on May 28, 2015.
File: An area of Manhattan Beach was closed off to swimmers after clumps of oil washed up on the sand on May 28, 2015.
Jed Kim/ KPCC

A full beach closure remains in effect in San Clemente not long after 25 sharks were spotted near the coast over the weekend and two more were seen Monday morning.

The sharks could be seen from an Orange County Sheriff's helicopter. The two Monday-morning sharks ranged from 10 to 12 feet long, according to Rod Mellott, San Clemente's marine safety lieutenant.

"One at the end of the pier that an actual fisherman caught, and the second one was not caught but seen from the pier as well," Mellott told KPCC. 

The four-hour closure was scheduled to become a warning at roughly 12:15 p.m. Monday afternoon, which would have meant beachgoers could swim at their own risk. However, Mellott told KPCC Monday afternoon that the closure would remain throughout the day.

A boost in shark populations have prompted more frequent sightings along Southern California beaches. Earlier this month, a school of sharks was seen near Dana Point swimming near several people in the water. At the end of April, a woman sustained a shark bite off a San Onofre beach. 

Shark sightings near Southern California beaches aren't rare, but despite this uptick, experts say frequent beach goers shouldn't worry too much.