Los Angeles, City of Angel dust.
Two people were arrested and more than 130 gallons of PCP with a would-be street value of about $100 million was seized in Los Angeles by authorities on Feb. 15.
Weapons, cash, and chemicals to make a staggering 500 additional gallons were also recovered, according to a statement from Lt. Scott Fairfield of the Los Angeles Interagency Metropolitan Police Apprehension Crime Task Force, known as L.A. IMPACT.
A month-long investigation based on intel from the L.A. Drug Enforcement Administration reportedly led to a local gang member who was involved in PCP (phencyclidine) manufacturing.
The investigation revealed national PCP distribution via commercial package delivery companies, and suspicious packages addressed to locations in Texas were intercepted. "Investigators detected a chemical odor emitting from these boxes, and tests later confirmed that each box contained approximately three gallons of PCP," Fairfield said.
130 gallons of PCP could yield close to 10 million individual doses, each retailing for at least $10. Wholesale, a gallon sells in Los Angeles for approximately $12,000.
According to the LA IMPACT press release:
- There is an estimated 76,800 individual doses in one gallon of PCP.
- Total estimated individual doses for the 130 gallons of of PCP seized is 9,984,000.
- The average user will be under the influence of PCP for approximately 24 hours per dose.
- One dose of PCP in Los Angeles County costs between $10 and $20.
- PCP costs $12,000 to $15,000 per gallon in Los Angeles County and $35,000 to $65,000 per gallon in Dallas.
- Total estimated street value of 130 gallons of PCP in Los Angeles is approx. $99,849,000.
- Users describe dream-like states or out of body experiences when under the influence of PCP.